Psyonix finally delivers the cherry on top of cross-play.
Cross-platform parties in Rocket League were promised last month, and the new Friends Update V1.58 adds the feature.
In January, Rocket League became the second PS4 cross-play title in the PlayStation Cross-Play Beta program and, as Competitive Season 10 kicks off, the game’s begun allowing more than just matchmaking between players on different consoles.
Using an auto-generated RocketID, players can search for and add their friends to Parties and Clubs, as well as viewing a list of 25 recent players met online.
You can check out the update’s highlights below, and the full patch notes on the official website.
- New Friends List is accessible via the bottom menu bar
- Each player now has a unique RocketID
- Competitive Season 9 Rewards will be awarded to eligible accounts
- Competitive Season 10 begins
- ‘Curveball’ is now available as a Ball Physics Mutator
Sony finally succumbed to requests for cross-platform play after backlash from Fortnite players, but Rocket League developer Psyonix was ready for the feature a whole year ago.
You can read more about the dev responses to Sony’s decision to finally allow cross-play in the wake of the announcement last year.