After a teaser yesterday, a Kickstarter project for a Nintendo Switch version of the original TY the Tasmanian Tiger game has now been launched. Krome Studios is seeking $50,000 USD to bring a remastered version of the first entry – originally released in 2002 on the GameCube and multiple other platforms – to the Nintendo Switch.
Here are some reasons to get excited about this version of the game:
The best part will be the new Switch controls where you can use them like boomerangs to throw and glide. And because it’s on the Switch, you can take it with you – it’s portable! While we’re at it, we’ll improve the graphics and the audio
And below is exactly what Krome Studios intends to spend the Kickstarter funds on:
- Joycon 6-axis motion control for throwing the rangs, gliding and precision boomeranging!
- Screen-space ambient occlusion
- Fully dynamic shadows
- Color correction and bloom
- High definition (HD) art textures for the levels and characters
- Improved particle effects
- Improved camera
- New Gamemode called “Hardcore Mode”
- QA testing and problem fixing
- Nintendo Lot Check
- New TY character skins (a stretch goal feature)
- Compatible with both the Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite* (*requires extra controllers to be able to use the TY motion controls. i.e. throwing and gliding.)
Right now, the plan is to release this version of the game exclusively as a digital title. If you’re willing to make a pledge, you can select from multiple backer tiers ranging from $5 to $500. You can get your name in the backer credits or go with the top tier, which will get you a drawing signed by TY’s very own designer, Steve Stamatiadis.
At the time of writing, the Kickstarter has already raised $15,000 USD and has 29 days to go to reach its $50,000 goal. If you would like to see this game released on the Switch, be sure to visit the official page. Here’s a look at the existing Steam release:
Are you looking forward to TY’s possible return? Did you play this game back in the day? Leave a comment below.