Thermal management is an important discussion topic in battery-powered systems when considering insulation, heat and power transfer, conduction and convection, in order to maintain the battery pack temperature within a tight tolerance to reduce thermal runaway.
Thermal management of batteries in H&EVs is essential for the effective operation of
motors in all climates and environments and is the main focus in the design of
battery modules and packs for pre-production prototypes or serial production.
Design thinking and technologies are constantly evolving to address these
various issues. Design and material engineers are addressing the trade-offs
between performance, functionality, volume, mass, cost, maintenance, and safety
There are two possible approaches in ensuring a balance between all these performance factors, both based
on optimizing TMS. The choice between these options is determined by several
factors, depending on the design of the battery pack and the types of cells
deployed (cylindrical, pouched, prismatic).
- The first approach is based on the thermal insulation of the cells to avoid overheating and propagate temperature increases to other cells, while at the same time insulating individual batteries to limit the impact of cold environments on its temperature.
- The second approach is to use thermally conductive materials that can evacuate heat from the cells to a cooling system.
Material science at the service of Thermal Management: an eBook for battery designers
Elkem has just released a new eBook to help battery engineers understand how silicone technologies can help them control the heat of EV battery packs. Check it out! The study is primarily addressed to design and materials engineers in the automotive industry involved in designing and producing innovative solutions to improve battery performance. It also provides key information for non-specialist decision-makers to enable them to understand how silicone technologies work and why it is essential to improve their competitiveness.
3 key learnings you will get from this eBook
1. The role of material science in thermal management
Thermal management is a critical activity for every carmaker now that the production is switching from ICE to EV. From heat insulation to thermal conductivity, leveraging the right material is what can make or break your battery back when put in demanding conditions.
2. Polyurethanes, epoxy or silicones? A comparative table
Finding and evaluating your ideal thermal management material can be a
tough challenge for battery engineers. This eBook should help! Find inside a
comparative table of the 3 main technologies playing this field. Save some
time: benefit from our expertise in chemistry and material science.
3. Why silicone materials are a must for your battery pack
Using silicone materials for thermal management applications is a proven solution for battery engineers. This eBook will tell you all about it, passing through the key requirements you may have when evaluating new raw materials (performances, adhesion, weight, processability, low volatile content…)
Get the eBook for free right now!
Other useful resources for EV & Battery Engineers
- Test/Checklist: 8 Questions to know which thermal management material is made for your battery project
- White Paper: A closer look at effects of silicone test methods on thermal conductivity results
- Solutions Guide: Accelerate the transportation revolution with electronic silicone solutions